Saturday, February 8, 2014

FRIDAY FOR THE FELLAS - FEDORAS


My great-grandfather was a big part of my life during my childhood in the 1970’s.  We even had a nickname for each other, Man. Unfortunately, I only have a shadowy memory of his appearance.  I recall this image of a tall, dark man who always wore dress pants, white button down shirt, a zipper front jacket, wingtip dress shoes and a fedora.  The fedora especially stood out for me because I have no memory of him without this hat, whether he was sitting on the front porch, working on a car in the back yard, or driving to the store to buy me some candy. At 5 or 6 years old, I can't imagine that I thought of my great-grandfather as a fashionably dressed man, but I bet this is where I acquired my ideal image of stylishly-casual attire for men.
 
I own a treasured photo of my father holding me as a baby, wearing a fedora. Again, the image is of a tall, dark man.  Again, he has on a button down dress shirt and what appear to be dress pants and some stylish sun shades.  Again, the fedora always catches my eye.  This is how I imagine my father dressing every day, as a young man in the 1950’s and 1960’s.  When my mother would tell me stories of their weekend trips to Washington, DC, I always imagined my father wearing a fedora.
My dad, holding a little Rose.
 
Twenty six years ago, I started dating my husband, Mark, who currently owns a nice collection of fedoras.  Straw.  Pictured below is just a fraction of his stash.
Wool houndstooth fedora with a beautiful red lining.

Mark's newest addition to his fedora family

A Summer favorite
 
Even though Mark  also owns many other types of hats, the fedoras are my favorite.  Whether we are going to church, to a local festival, taking a road trip or going out to eat, these hats can always serve as an appropriate part of his attire.
Attitude is key when wearing this classic head gear!
 
Of course, these three men are not related (my great-grandfather is on my mother’s side of the family), but their fondness for the fedora seem to be one of their common threads.
Celebrities and historic figures such as Martin Luther King, Justin Timberlake, Neo, Frank Sinatra, Denzel Washington, Johnny Depp have also successfully donned the fedora. But of course, you don't have to be a celebrity to afford one.  They come in a variety of price ranges and can be purchased at any retail store from WalMart to Marshall's to Macy's.
When purchasing a fedora, stick to the style that fits your personality, because styles may vary.  Some have wide brims, buttons on the band, prints and may come in a variety of patterns and fabrics. Most of the fedoras my husband own possess these common stats:
  •  1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch brim
  • Tear drop shaped crown (at the very top)
  • 4 -  4 1/2 inch crown
  • Fabric band surrounding the base of the crown
  • Fabric  lined interior

This hat is a classic symbol of style, but it is defiantly not for the masses.  Only a select few dare to purchase one, wear it and allow it to continue to look classically cool when they place it on their head. 
I encourage fellas to take a small step outside of their fashion circle and at least try a fedora on. Boldly pose in front of the department store mirror donning your potential new purchase. You may fall in love with this classic accessory.
Please use the comment’s section below to let me know about your fedora history.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, Mark! You wear this classic the way it was intended...with style.

      Delete